Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Little Plum Breaks The Fourth Wall

Amazing detail!

Whilst looking for a Jonah strip to scan for a post the other day I came across this very interesting and cool Little Plum strip in Beano #850, dated 1st November 1958. In this strip Plum decides there are too many bears in his strip, and tries to get rid of them! As well as interesting, this is also one of the funniest Little Plum strips I've ever read - I particularly love the eighth panel! As always, Leo Baxendale illustrated it.



And if you're ever trying to track this issue down, here's the front cover.



7 comments:

Peter Gray said...

That is inside the Beano coffee book 70 years...as you say all the bears faces are lovely to see..

I love your new banner!!
Hope you keep it after Easter...just remove the wording of Easter...

Peter Gray said...

Hope you don't mind I was inspired to change my title panel as well.saving image on to my computer and reusing the image with new wording...thanks for the idea...

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Noticing the bottom panel is exactly the same as the top panel (minus Plum of course). Trickery, Mr. Baxendale, trickery!

Anonymous said...

What's the Beano coffee book? A promotional?

George Shiers said...

@Peter - I'm glad you like the banner - your new one looks great! I may keep it after, Easter, we'll see how it goes.

@TwoHeadedBoy - I didn't notice that! It's obvious now you've pointed it out though!

@Anon - I should think Peter is talking about this one, published in 2008 by Waverly Books (it's very similar to the recent Dandy one I believe). I keep telling myself I'm going to get a copy but I haven't yet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Beano-Story-So-Far/dp/1902407733

Peter Gray said...

you must get a copy its brilliant and you will keep rereading it...like I do..

George Shiers said...

I'll get a copy soon!