Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Comic Book Project - Another New Zealand Comic

The chapter one title page, edited to look like an
old American comic book!

Since I live in New Zealand I like to do my bit to support the (rather small) New Zealand comic industry. When Faction was launched earlier this year, I quickly grabbed a copy from a shop in Wellington, and I loved it. I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue, which is due to come out later this year. Damon Keen, the creator of Faction, said: "We're planning on two issues a year - but that will be dependent on the quality of the material we get. We only want to go to print once we've got a copy we're really happy with!".

So, where am I going with this I hear you ask? Well, that brings me nicely to the image at the top of this post - Comic Book Project.

An amazing panel - wonderful perspective!

The artwork in Comic Book Project is by Jon-Paul Smith, who also wrote and published the comic himself. Issue #0, which is out now for $15 (around £7.50), shows the first three chapters, with the title pages in full colour, which is what Jon says he hopes the final graphic novel will look like all the way through.

The final novel is expected to be all finished and ready for shipping by December, and will cost $60, or around £30.


The story itself is about an outbreak of a deadly disease named the Titan Virus, which was supposed to be a girl's revenge on a company for the death of her father, but instead went terribly wrong, killing thousands of people. The story and artwork is very strong, except for the fact that a few characters look very alike, but that aside and I heartily recommend it.

If you want to find out more about Comic Book Project visit the website, and you can buy the comic from the 'Shop' page at:

http://www.comicbookpublishing.net

Or you can visit Jon's blog:

http://comicbookproject.net

No comments: